Volunteer Houston: Looking for something different? Be sure to check the large database kept by Volunteer Houston for information on opportunities throughout the Houston area. Some current needs are listed below, but for more information see their website here.
- Calls for help are answered by caring volunteers who staff a women’s helpline at a United Way agency‘s Montrose area office. Taking on a weekly weekday shift of four hours, these volunteers field calls from women on matters such as domestic abuse, rape, and economic hardship and make needs-assessment reports to be acted on by staff social workers. Comprehensive training will be provided.
- A few good men are wanted as mentors at a Katy residential facility for children who have suffered from abuse or neglect. If you are a male who has a good rapport with boys between the ages of 11 and 17, consider coming by once a week (on weekdays between 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.) to interact with one of these kids in shared recreation and friendly conversation. Volunteers should be at least 21 years of age.
- Serve a teacher at an dynamic learning center in the Cy-Fair area for adults with mental retardation. Working with a staff person, you’ll engage, lead, and encourage a group of these folks in fun class activities designed to nurture their capacity for independent living and enhance their socialization skills. The center is open weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Other opportunities:
- Be a “Meals on Wheels” driver for elderly shut-ins in the Alvin area.
- Get involved in clerical work with a Hockley youth services organization.
- Help with child care duties at a Clear Lake area women’s center.
- Serve as Spanish interpreter for a southwest Houston agency aiding the needy.
- Staff a waiting area at a Pasadena general hospital.
- Lead a current events discussion group at an assisted center in The Woodlands.
- Evaluate possible child abuse cases for a central Houston social service agency.
For more information on these volunteer opportunities, call Volunteer Houston at 713-965-0031 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday to Friday. More opportunities can be found at www.volunteerhouston.org.
American Red Cross: The Greater Houston Area chapter of the American Red Cross is always seeking volunteers, but given the number of disasters recently around the country and region more volunteers are needed then ever before to enter the ranks and start training for possible future demands. Several general volunteer orientations are offered throughout the summer to get you better informed and started. See the website for more details and to sign-up.