Volunteer Houston: Looking for something different? Be sure to check the large database kept by Volunteer Houston for information on opportunities throughout the Houston area. Some current needs are listed below, but for more information see their website here.
Volunteers are needed to help refugee youth with homework from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays-Thursdays. Volunteers must be 16 years or older, and available to volunteer at least one day a week.
Ideal candidates will have experience with tutoring and/or working with people whose first language is not English. Strong knowledge of math and science a plus. Should be flexible, a team player, patient and enjoy working with youth.
A hospice is looking for an individual or a small group of musicians who would enjoy playing music in nursing facilities and/or personal care homes. Volunteers can share their passion and gift for music within their own area.
- Lend a hand at a local thrift shop in the Woodlands area.
- Volunteers needed at a Woodlands area hospice.
- Physicians are needed as volunteers at a small public health clinic in Fort Bend County.
- Help the hungry by giving out nutritious meals and clothing.
- English and writing tutors needed to assist teachers with high school students.
- Crisis hotline volunteers needed in Brazoria County.
- Certified volunteers needed to teach first aid classes.
For more information, contact Volunteer Houston at (832) 613-9275, email@example.com or visit www.volunteerhouston.org.
American Red Cross: The Greater Houston Area chapter of the American Red Cross is always seeking volunteers, but given the number of disasters recently around the country and region more volunteers are needed then ever before to enter the ranks and start training for possible future demands. Several general volunteer orientations are offered throughout the summer to get you better informed and started. See the website for more details and to sign-up.