Volunteer Houston: Looking for something different? Be sure to check the large database kept by Volunteer Houston for information on opportunities throughout the Houston area. Some current needs are listed below, but for more information see their website here.
Help families receive healthy meals:
Help families, children and neighbors receive nutritious meals and select clothes and housewares.
Tutor ESL students
We currently need volunteer tutors to work with small groups of ESL students, helping them learn to speak, understand, read and write in English.
We are seeking volunteer counselors to help families in need. The services include assistance and referrals for food, clothing and household items; rent and mortgage payments; natural gas and water bills, and more. Volunteer counselors interview clients on a one-to-one basis for evaluation of client needs and assessment of available resources.
- The Montgomery County area is in need of volunteers to help advocate for abused children.
- Dental professionals are needed as volunteers in Fort Bend County.
- Volunteers are needed to help rescue dogs find a loving home in Brazoria County.
- For those in central Houston, financial education instructors are needed.
- Musical entertainers are needed at a hospice in the Katy area.
- Southeast Harris County is looking for volunteers to help during a school supply drive.
- Northwest Harris County is in need of volunteers to help support a local nonprofit.
- Explore nature with children in the Kingwood/Humble area.
For more information, contact Volunteer Houston at 832-613-9275, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.volunteerhouston.org.
American Red Cross: The Greater Houston Area chapter of the American Red Cross is always seeking volunteers, but given the number of disasters recently around the country and region more volunteers are needed then ever before to enter the ranks and start training for possible future demands. Several general volunteer orientations are offered throughout the summer to get you better informed and started. See the website for more details and to sign-up.