THURSDAY TOP NEWS LINKS:
Cindy George, Houston Chronicle
The unknown parents of the child known as Baby Chloe, an abandoned newborn found inside a plastic bag in February, had their parental rights terminated on Wednesday.
The little girl is now 3 months old. Authorities have been unable to locate her biological parents and have stopped looking for them, Child Protective Services spokeswoman Estella Olguin said.
The determination by Harris County Juvenile Court Judge Michael Schneider brings Chloe closer to becoming available for adoption, but it’s not too late for the mother or father to step forward.
[...] The baby was discovered by a woman walking her dogs in northwest Harris County when the animals became interested in a Wal-Mart bag on the perimeter of the Stonegate Villas Apartments. About 3 inches of the child’s umbilical cord was still attached.
She was a distinct infant – born with one bottom tooth – who weighed 4 pounds and 12 ounces. Medical officials determined that she was a late preterm baby delivered at 36 to 37 weeks’ gestation. She was named Chloe by the Texas Children’s Hospital staff.
Read this full story at Chron.com
LOCAL AREA HEADLINES:
- Safe rooms gain popularity as storm shelters in Texas (KHOU 11 News)
- Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair talks Africa at Rice University (KIAH 39 Newsfix)
- More Than 500 Indians Abused by Human Trafficking, Lawyer Says (Houston Press)
- Child at center of Amber Alert found safe (KTRK 13 News)
- Houston shares tips during dog Bite Prevention Week (Chron.com)
- Houston smuggler gets prison in scheme where women worked in strip clubs (Chron.com)
- HISD honors two teachers of the year (Your Houston News)
- “Job Ready Graduates” coming from HISD Pharmacy School (KRIV 26 News)
- Kroger announces tornado relief fundraiser (KPRC 2 News)
- Texas lawmakers break budget impasse (Chron.com)
- Lawmakers Approve Funding For Texas Water Plan, Setting Up Statewide Vote (State Impact Texas)
- Charter school, testing bills will pass or die together (Austin Statesman)
- Senate approves school marshal bill (Austin Statesman)
- New bill could modify concealed handgun licenses (KPRC 2 News)
- State Equal Pay Act Survives the Senate (Texas Tribune)
NATION & WORLD:
- Six Facts Lost in the IRS Scandal (ProPublica)
- House begins effort to head off student loan increase (USA Today)
- 5 things to watch as Senate immigration debate continues (USA Today)
- World urged to speed up action on disaster reduction (Reuters)