Medicare and Medicaid turn 50 years old this Thursday. While many new challenges face the program ahead, little doubt can be raised that the programs have been essential for many who have grown old in ill health, or who needed assistance while living in poverty. How these programs move forward under provisions of the Affordable Care Act and how they stay sustainable in the long run though will be part of the celebrations.
(Video: PBS Newshour)
- Medicaid turning 50, a safety net that stops suffering (Houston Chronicle)
- The Politics of Medicare and Medicaid, 50 Years Later (US News & World Report)
- Medicare and Medicaid: keeping us healthy for 50 years (HealthCare.gov)
- As Medicare and Medicaid Turn 50, Use of Private Health Plans Surges (New York Times)
- Celebrate 50 Years of Medicaid by Expanding It to Cover More People (Huffington Post)
- Medicaid at 50 (Center for Budget & Policy Priorities)